måndag 4 juli 2016

Avbrutit: The Sky is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere (inbunden)
Bild lånad från bokus,
finns också adlibris
och översatt till svenska
Så jag började läsa The Sky is Everywhere av Jandy Nelson. Den handlar om Lennie vars storasyster Bailey dog fyra veckor före bokens början. I det som jag läste innan jag slog ihop boken så gick Lennie tillbaka till skolan för första gången sedan systerns död, där fanns en ny intressant kille och det kanske också var något på gång med Baileys gamle pojkvän.

Nelsons I'll Give You the Sun var ganska strålande så jag blev själv förvånad när jag avslutade läsningen runt 30 sidor in, och kanske ännu mer över orsaken till att jag lade ner - språket. Språk är något jag oftast inte reflekterar så mycket över när jag läser, jag brukar fångas av handlingen och vara nöjd med det, ibland hinner jag uppfatta att något är otroligt välskrivet (eller tvärtom), men jag lägger oftast ingen större vikt vid det. Men det här var så otroligt blommigt skrivet att det nästan kändes som att läsa en parodi på vackra beskrivningar. Och när jag väl börjat lägga märke till det var det svårt att inte se mer och för mig blev det mycket för mycket... Några exempel som fångade min uppmärksamhet under de få sidor jag hann läsa, har gjort kursiveringar på det som jag tyckte var extra cringeworthy:

     she’s been reading up on loss and according to all the experts, it’s time for me to talk about what I’m going through – but she, and the experts, and Gram, for that matter, don’t get it. I can’t. I’d need a new alphabet, one made of falling, of tectonic plates shifting, of the deep devouring dark.

     I motion toward the house. “I need to go upstairs.”      
     This is true. I want to be back in The Sanctum, full name: The Inner Pumpkin Sanctum, newly christened by me, when Bailey, a few months ago, persuaded me the walls of our bedroom just had to be orange, a blaringly unapologetic orange that had since made our room sunglasses optional. 

     My eyes move from the wisteria cascading down the trellis to the several parties of daffodils gossiping in the breeze to the indisputable fact that springtime has shoved off its raincoat today and is just prancing around 

     He lifts his arm, and for a second I think he’s going to touch my face with his hand, but he just runs his fingers through the tumble of sunshine that is his hair.

     He finishes his farewell, stands back up, then drops his skateboard to the ground, steadying it with his foot. He doesn’t get on. A few years pass.      
     “I should go,” he says, not going.      
     “Yeah,” I say. A few more.      
     Before he finally hops on his board, he hugs me goodbye and we hold on to each other so tightly under the sad, starless sky that for a moment I feel as if our heartbreak were one instead of two.

     This is what happens when Joe Fontaine has his debut trumpet solo in band practice: I’m the first to go, swooning into Rachel, who topples into Cassidy Rosenthal, who tumbles onto Zachary Quittner, who collapses onto Sarah, who reels into Luke Jacobus – until every kid in band is on the floor in a bedazzled heap. Then the roof flies off, the walls collapse, and when I look outside I see that the nearby stand of redwood trees has uprooted and is making its way up the quad to our classroom, a gang of giant wooden men clapping their branches together. Lastly, the Rain River overflows its banks and detours left and right until it finds its way to the Clover High music room, where it sweeps us all away – he is that good.

     For the first time in our lives, I’m somewhere she can’t find, and I don’t have the map to give her that leads to me.

Jag kanske är orättvis som lägger ner boken så snabbt och dessutom skriver om det, men det får vara så. Men vill påpeka att det här var min väldigt korta läsning, jag har sett ett otal omdömen av folk som fallit som furor, så det kanske bara är jag eller så kanske den behöver några sidor till...

2 kommentarer:

  1. Nej, du är inte orättvis. Jag ger dig himlen var überbra i jämförelse och jag gillade den skarpt. Den här däremot... not so! Jag blev också tvungen att lägga ner.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Skönt att det inte bara är jag :) Hur långt kom du?

      Radera

Tack för kommentaren, uppskattar att du tar dig tid :)